Vuori compared its usual strategy of Advantage+ placements against manually delivering ads to the Reels placement on Facebook and Instagram exclusively and to non-Reels placements separately, and saw a 17% lower cost per purchase with the test campaign.
Vuori makes premium performance apparel inspired by the active coastal California lifestyle. Its products aim to integrate the best of fitness, surf and sport clothing so that they will withstand tough workouts, provide next-level comfort and easily transition to everyday life.
lower cost per purchase from cell with Reels, compared to control cell
lower cost per impression from cell with Reels, compared to control cell
more impressions delivered to 18- to 34-year-olds using the ad set with Reels, compared to ad set that excluded Reels
Vuori wanted to understand whether running video ads specifically in the Reels placement could help to increase its campaign performance and drive more purchases compared to its business-as-usual campaign setup using Advantage+ placements.
Measuring the value of Reels
To understand the value of adding the Reels placement to its campaign strategy, Vuori ran an A/B test. Specifically, the test compared:
- a “control” cell consisting of the brand’s business-as-usual campaign setup that used Meta’s Advantage+ placements feature, which delivered ads across all of Meta’s placements based on which were most likely to drive the best campaign results at the lowest cost at any given time
- a test cell consisting of a campaign with two ad sets: In one ad set, the team manually delivered ads in the Reels placement only, and in the other it manually delivered ads in all placements except Reels
For the ad creative, Vuori enlisted a variety of creators who are well known in the fitness space. They shot their own video content that ran as branded content ads through their personal Instagram and Facebook pages, or as sponsored ads through Vuori’s handles.
The ads showed the creators exercising while wearing workout and lifestyle garments that Vuori designed to be both flattering and functional, such as leggings with pockets that come in a variety of colors. For the ads in Reels, the brand cut the videos into a 9:16 aspect ratio, specific to that full-screen placement. All ads included a Shop now button that linked to the product pages on Vuori’s website.
The team served the ads to a broad audience of US men and women aged 18 and over, excluding existing customers. The brand’s agency, Meta Business Partner Wpromote, handled the day-to-day on-platform responsibilities.
Vuori determined the results of its April 21–May 6, 2022 campaign using reporting data from an A/B test in Facebook Ads Manager, which revealed:
- 17% lower cost per purchase from cell with Reels, compared to control cell
- 25% lower cost per impression from cell with Reels, compared to control cell
- 65% more impressions delivered to 18- to 34-year-olds using the ad set with Reels, compared to ad set that excluded Reels