Garnier boosted awareness around a new hair care product in Saudi Arabia by 2.4X after adding branded content ads from influencers to its Instagram and Facebook campaigns.
Garnier has specialized in products for healthy-looking hair and skin since 1904. Part of L’Oréal since the 1970s, and a leading brand in its own right, Garnier has a goal is to make beauty accessible to everyone.
increase in brand awareness for branded content ads, compared to global brand assets alone
increase in message association with branded content ads plus global assets, compared to business-as-usual ads
increase in ad recall amongst Gen Z with branded content ads plus global assets, compared to global brand assets alone
higher lift in purchase intent for branded content ads alone, compared to global brand assets alone
Garnier Arabia wanted to create awareness and excitement around the launch of Garnier Hair Food 3-in-1 in Saudi Arabia.
Branded Content ads starring influencers
For the launch of its Garnier Hair Food 3-in-1 product in Saudi Arabia, Garnier decided to assess the impact of influencers in Branded Content ads. When influencers post on Instagram, these posts can be shared by the brand with an influencer’s permission in the form of Branded Content ads. Branded Content ads are a great way for a brand to reach a larger audience.
Garnier worked with four female influencers in Saudi Arabia to produce square and vertical video ads. The creative paired top Gen Z influencers as “Hair Food Besties” to educate consumers on product usage, ingredients and the benefits for each hair type.
Garnier worked closely with its agency UM to ensure a successful campaign launch. To assess the effectiveness of branded content ads, they used a multi-cell brand lift study to measure the ads’ impact on ad recall, awareness, message association and purchase intent. The brand lift study allowed them to evaluate three different strategies:
- running brand assets alone from the brand’s handle
- running brand assets from the brand’s handle and Branded Content ads from influencers’ handles
- running Branded Content ads from influencers’ handles alone
The study ran from July 29–Sept. 13, 2021, and showed the significant impact of Branded Content ads, with a higher lift among members of Generation Z (18- to 24-year-olds) across the board. The campaign achieved:
- 2.4X increase in brand awareness for Branded Content ads, compared to global brand assets alone
- 20% increase in message association with Branded Content ads plus global assets, compared to business-as-usual ads
- 2X increase in ad recall amongst Gen Z with Branded Content ads plus global assets, compared to global brand assets alone
- 1.3-point higher lift in purchase intent for Branded Content ads alone, compared to global brand assets alone